name='keywords'/> WhiteOak's World: Within the World of a Hibiscus

My Favorite Saying...

"Life is filled with magick, if we allow our eyes to see it"

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Within the World of a Hibiscus

[[posterous-content:pid___0]]

Last night and early this morning we had a lot of rain in Georgia. One of my favorite things in the world is smelling the air after a rain and also taking photos.  This morning by accident, I stumbled outside to take my yorkie out to do his business and I glanced over at my flowers and ran in the house to get my camera.  

In the process of taking these photos, I noticed I was going for somekind of theme not really planning to do so.  Have you ever really looked into a flower?  Anyway, there were many different angle shots I took so I did a google search to see if any of the parts had names, and guess they do!

[[posterous-content:pid___1]]

 [[posterous-content:pid___2]]

The Stigma is considered the female part of the flower that receives the pollen.  Inside the long tubular organ of the flower that the stigma sits on is called the pistil and that is where the other female parts are like the ovaries.  Now whereas other flowers will have several ovaries, the hibiscus only has one.  

[[posterous-content:pid___3]][[posterous-content:pid___4]]The Anthers and Filaments are considered the Male part of the hibiscus and are resonsible for producing pollen and is called the stamens.  The hibiscus flowers have hundreds.  The long thin tubes are called filaments and the two tube shaped objects are called anthers. The Anthers sit ontop of the filament and they are what releases the pollen.  

**Please Note**  I took the above pictures this morning and it is now noon here in Georgia and the little brown anthers are now just yellow bits of pollen!!

Until Next Time,

Beauty seen through the lens of a camera


Want to join a fantastic site where you can share your links AND earn money? Come join me at

: Redgage

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a message, I will gladly respond back to it.